Wednesday, February 2, 2011

For Those of You...

For those of you who don't know me, read my first blog...An Iguana's life...(ladyiguana.blogspot.com)... to understand what I am talking about in this blog. I've been rescuing feral and pet iguanas for over 20 years with no help from the public or grants from the state(And this is really their problem down here in South Florida!). I live on a $600 a month disability check and am confined to a wheelchair for most of the day due to a stroke. Yet, I manage to nurture and rehab each and every animal that comes into my house and I adopt them all out into fine, loving homes. I supplement their income by doing occassional compuer graphics for people for cash.


Pugsley and Zilla were lovers
Zilla
Zilla was a very sick iguana that never really recovered. Yet she lived a happy and comfortable life for 3 years with me before she finally gave up the ghost and went to iguana heaven. She has to be happy now...painfree and able to be a fully healthy iguana. I miss her deeply.

When Zilla was feeling well, she was like any other iguana...She loved to tussle with her man, Pugsley

The demure iguana
Pugsley
Pugsley was the star of our show. He was confident and outgoing and loved to meet new people when they came to pick up work that I did for them. He wouldn't leave them alone until they knelt and said hello to him by rubbing his big male jowls for him. Then he'd jump on the couch in the waiting area of the house, bob his head  back to them, to say hello, then lay down and leave them to tend to their business.
He would go out front all alone to get a snack of fresh growing plants or to go bathroom and immediately stroll back inside, even if he had to squeeze his fat self through the wrought iron gate bars we have to protect the front door at night...Which is why we can't understand how he disappeared.
My son was in critical condition in the hospital and I spent the entire first week there, praying and watching over him. He is a young man, too young to die! Thankfully, he pulled through and is doing fine now, but when I finally got home to get a shower and clean clothing, Pugsley was nowhere to be found! In my rush to be by my son's side, I had accidentally left a window part way open and found that iguana claws are no match for a window screen. Pugsley had clawed open the screen and had jumped down to the lawn.
We never found him, dispite offering a huge reward (for me) and I still pray to this day that someone took him in and wants to keep him for their own pet. He would have gone to anyone. I just hope that he is alive and well in someone's care.
Our star!!!


Pugsley, the friendly iguana

No comments:

Post a Comment